[mythtv-users] HD Architecture Solution

Emery Guevremont emery.guevremont at gmail.com
Fri May 9 15:00:09 UTC 2008

Bryce Ostenson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm working on my upgrade to HD and have found that selecting the
> right technologies to be pretty complex.  I think I've got a good
> grasp on things but wanted to run my findings/thinking by people more
> knowledgeable than myself.
>
> What I have now:
> * A working SD mythTV system (quite happy with it really)
> * Enough CPU, hard disk, and memory to do HD (but not capture/video card)
> * Combined frontend/backend, and a remote frontend that we can ignore
> for now.
> * And I've added a Philips 42" LCD 1080p (Specs states it has QAM
> tuner, no DVI, no VGA/D-Sub).
> * Comcast HD (no HBO/Showtime/etc)
> * A Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250hdc STB
>
> My goal:
> * Minimal cost, including both monthly costs and up-front costs.
> * Single HD tuner is ok, more are better of course!  Would like to
> keep my analog PVR-150 operational as a fall-back tuner.
> * Keep it simple - I've spent a lot of time getting my mythTV going so
> far and prefer to stick with good, known solutions.
> * Would like to be able to record all/most of my HD content from
> Comcast (again, no HBO, Showtime, etc).
>
> -- Model 1: Comcast > mythTV > TV (NO STB)
>
> This is my preferred model.
>
> Problem: QAM from Comcast in 55401 seems isolated to local channels.
> My Philips TV wasn't able to decode any of the other HD content (or so
> it seemed).  Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this means
> that I won't be able to use an HDHomerun or other HD tuner cards to
> decode SciFiHD and other non-local but non-premium channels.  I think
> this rules out this model.
>
> Advantages: Simple.  Would probably use an HDHomeRun and get an
> upgraded video card that supports HDMI, DVI or component out.

No point in doing this, since you paying for something that's already
available for free.

> -- Model 2: Comcast > STB > mythTV > TV
>
> Advantages: Should be able to capture most anything.  Would that
> include premium channels (HBO)?
>
> Disadvantages: IR Blaster?  Potential quality loss from component HD
> capture?  More complex installation?
>
> Unknowns: Can I even capture digitally from the firewire port on the
> 4250hdc?  Initial searching doesn't look good.
>
> Hardware must be able to work via LAN (e.g. HDHomerun), a PCI slot
> (open), a PCIe x16 slot (in use by my video card), or USB.  I haven't
> investigated this.

I'm assuming in model 2 you're talking about connecting your STB through
either a firewire cable or components cable. In this model I would
instead look into using the new Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212. This way, you'd
be able to connect you STB to the HD-PVR 1212 through components cable.
Now with this part I'm still unsure, but I believe the HD-PVR and mythtv
BE would communicate through network. In my mind it would somehow work
similarly the same way as the HDHomerun. Also instead of using an IR
Blaster to control the STB, I believe you could configure mythtv to
control the STB through firewire. Now I haven't done this, but this is
what I would try to do if I wanted to keep Comcast's STB.

> -- Model 3: OTA HD > mythTV > TV
>
> Advantages: FREE on an ongoing basis.
>
> Disadvantages: Not as many channels; my LCD would be relegated to most
> HD content coming from a to-be-purchased Bluray player.

Personally this is the setup I prefer and also plan to do. The biggest
advantage is that it's free and is a very simple setup. Obviously it all
depends how much TV you want to watch, but for me, so far, I really
enjoy OTA HD. In terms of hardware, you've basically got 2 options,
HDHomerun or internal PCI/PCIe card. Either option seems good and costs
about the same. It all depends how you want to set it up.

> -- Model 4: Comcast DVR or Tivo or non-Myth Box > TV
>
> Advantages: It just works?  Sort of?  Could stick with a simple HDMI
> cabling scheme.
>
> Disadvantages: Lesser interface, more limited options, potentially
> spending just as much up front.  And likely more on a monthly basis.

The it's goodbye to mythtv :-(