[mythtv-users] Ripping with MythDVD

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 8 18:57:52 UTC 2008

On 05/08/2008 02:40 PM, Doug Young wrote:
> On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Jeff Clark wrote:
>> I've started ripping my DVD collection down to my Myth box using MythDVD.
>> I am selecting "Perfect" for the quality, but this is producing files in
>> the range of 4 gigs a piece, which will fill my hard drive faster than
>> anything.
>>
> Short, pithy answer:
> Get a bigger drive

Here, here!  And, here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152100 (750GB
Samsung HDD for $119.99)
http://www.buy.com/prod/western-digital-caviar-gp-wd7500aacs-750gb-7200rpm-serial-ata-300/q/loc/101/205083227.html
(750GB WD HDD for $128.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148298 (750GB
Seagete HDD for $129.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136131 (750GB
WD HDD for $129.99)

That Samsung for $119.99 is just under $0.16/GB...

> Longer answer:
> Personally, I find that about 4GiB is as far as I want to go for DVD
> compression.  Most complete, commercial DVD's are in the 8GiB range.

In truth, Perfect simply copies the entire DVD (including menus,
alternate tracks, subtitles, ...) to the HDD.  So, for an 8GB
(dual-layer) DVD, it will be an 8GB file.

Mike