[mythtv-users] Can't playback recorded shows but preview works - SOLVED

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 8 15:26:20 UTC 2008

On 05/08/2008 06:40 AM, Mike Holden wrote:
> Misty P wrote:
>
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>>> Heh.  That's the exact problem I'm currently working on solving (in
>>> #5319), but I didn't think of it when I saw your post.  I hope in 0.22
>>> we'll have it working so if you start a frontend or slave backend
>>> whose time zone differs from that of the master backend, it will exit
>>> with a useful error message saying that you need to fix your time zone
>>> configuration.
>>>
>> Playing devil's advocate, wouldn't it be more useful to spit up a box
>> asking
>> if you wanted to continue and inherit the backend's TZ, or quit?  (I'm
>> thinking of a really broken distro that's on a RO filesystem, such as a
>> DVD-R, that's otherwise correct.)
> What happens if the BE and FE really are in different timezones, but the
> "real" (UTC) time of both of them is the same?

Myth doesn't currently support running multiple parts of the system
configured with different time zones.  Feel free to write a patch, but
you'll have to touch nearly every part of Myth (including, even,
MythWeb).  And, it's possible that the patch won't be accepted as it
makes interpretation of the data (for a human--i.e. for a dev
investigating a bug report) much more complex.

>  This is technically
> feasible (e.g. accessing your home BE when on holiday "just over the
> border"), and should work correctly once the 2 times are converted to UTC.

What you can't see on that patch is the /very/ long discussion I had on
IRC with David Shay and Rob Smith after posting the patch where we
figured out that the implementation I posted was not sufficient for our
needs.  Rather than simply knowing what time zone a system is in, we
need to know the rules that govern the time zone (i.e. a zoneinfo
database ID).  Therefore, I'm rewriting the patch (and it's much more
involved than the one currently on the ticket).

Mike