[mythtv-users] Yet another 'Could not connect to master backend server' post

Bryan Bennetts bryan.bennetts at gmail.com
Thu May 8 12:16:48 UTC 2008

Hi guys,

I'm trying to divine whats gone awry with my setup w.r.t. the above warning.

My setup :

1 BE+FE machine, using mythwelcome.
1 Remote Frontend

Both are running .21-fixes on Gentoo.

I have the Local server IP set to 192.168.0.102 (the BE+FE IP address) and
likewise for the backend server IP.  When I boot my BE+FE machine (so that
mythwelcome automagically starts the frontend) I get a warning dialogue
stating 'Could not connect to the master back server -- is it running yada
yada yada'.  If I hit okay the frontend then starts and everything is fine,
if I don't hit okay the backend shuts the machine down as (presumably) no
clients have attached.  Obviously this isn't ideal as it means waiting for
the machine to boot and hitting the okay button within a set time frame.
With this setup I can connect to the backend using the stand alone frontend
machine with no warnings.

Does anyone have a setup similar to this, can they confirm that these are the
correct settings?  If I set the IP addresses to 127.0.0.1 then everything is
fine on the BE+FE machine, but unsurprisingly I cannot connect using the
stand alone FE machine.

The setup has worked in the past, I'm not sure if I broke it tinkering with
the settings, or whether it happened after updating the software.  I'm
guessing the former.

Thanks in advance, Bryan.