[mythtv-users] N64 Emulation + Joystick

Johnny Russ JRuss at MIT.EDU
Tue May 6 16:09:55 UTC 2008

Jeff Clark wrote:
> On May 6, 2008, at 11:43 AM, Johnny Russ wrote:
>

>> Jeff Clark wrote:
>>
>>> Based on some advice from this list yesterday, I went out and bought
>>> the RumblePad2 joystick controller to  play games via MythGame.  It's
>>> just as comfortable and great as everyone said it was.
>>>
>>> I'm having an issue getting the controller to actually *control*
>>> anything in the N64 emulator mupen64plus.
>>>
>>> I go into input settings, but I can't seem to find where to tell
>>> mupen64plus to use a USB controller instead of a keyboard.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have N64 emulation running on their mythbox with a USB
>>> controller?  Is there a better emulator?
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>>

>> I am in the process of getting MythGame setup with a wireless usb
>> controller. I had the same problem with Mupen64Plus. You need to use
>> the
>> blight input plugin. At first this wouldn't show up for me. I found
>> the
>> solution in this thread:
>> http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?p=401110#post401110. I was
>> missing
>> libsdl-ttf2.0. Installing that fixed things up. The blight input
>> config
>> provides a gui that make it really easy to setup the mapping for you
>> gamepad. Mupen64Plus was the best emulator I could find. Others will
>> know more than me, I haven't even finished setting things up in
>> MythGame.
>>

> Ha!  As it turns out, I am reading that exact post right now.  I just
> downloaded Blight's, but am trying to figure out how to install it.
>
> Any idea?

I just installed using the binary packages from
http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/. There is a plugins folder after
you unzip the binary package. If you look in the plugins folder you will
blight_input.so. It was installed by default for me. I didn't have to
actually install it manually. The problem is that it doesn't show up as
an option in the setup menu because the SDL_ttf font is missing. If this
is your problem, then when you run from the command line you will see an
error about the font when you try the setup. Just install the SDL_ttf as
described in the previously mentioned thread and then blight will show
up in the setup dialog.