[mythtv-users] Who needs to worry about copyright? CoreAVC for Linux removed from Google Code

Sarah Katherine Hayes sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net
Tue May 6 16:07:18 UTC 2008

Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> On Tue, 6 May 2008, Sarah Katherine Hayes wrote:
>

>> What it DOES show to my mind is that with a deft flick of the wrist a
>> misfiring DMCA take down notice could vaporise any project, hosted in
>> the states... be it hypothetically VLC, GNOME or indeed MythTV.  One
>> letter and blam gone until the matter is resolved. I'd say it also shows
>>

> No, just until the owner of the site fires off the boilerplate
> counter-notice saying, under penalty of purgery, that to the best of their
> knowledge it does not violate the DMCA.  Then the provider puts it back, and
> the two entities go back to dukeing it out.

By which time the internet media is full of stories about "GNOME DEAD!"
or "MythTV busted for piracy" or well, insert your own fanciful terms.
The content coming back is largely irrelevant if no retractions or
updates from the media machine appear then the original story still
stands, will be propagated.

After all in the story linked Myth is explicitly mentioned, thus MythTV
is of dubious quality.  FUD works like that I'm afraid.