[mythtv-users] widescreen & 4:3 aspect ratios in 0.21

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue May 6 14:51:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Darren Wilkinson <mythtv at chipsugar.plus.com>
wrote:

> I have a 4:3 monitor and like to view my widescreen channels and dvds
> zoomed in so there's no letterboxing. In MythTV 0.20 I could set
> stretching to "Fill" which would zoom on the widescreen streams but
> leave 4:3 unzoomed. In 0.21 I have "Half" or "Full" stretching but as
> far as I could see these cannot be set to just zoom on the widescreen
> content. Is there anything else that could be done?

There is a patch in Trac that adds automatic letterbox detection if you're
not using XvMC.  I'm not sure what mode you're referring to in 0.20.  I have
the same setup (4:3 screen with HD content, sometimes letterboxed 4:3 inside
the 16:9 signal) and I always had to just set to Fill when I ran into that
content.  I don't recall anything that was more automatic than that but then
I may never have come across that particular setting.

Kevin