[mythtv-users] Mythbackend & monit

Wade Maxfield mythtv at hotblack.co.nz
Tue May 6 09:54:49 UTC 2008

I've jut upgraded to 0.21 via MythDora 5, and have setup monit to
monitor mythbackend and mysql (same setup as I had with MythDora 4 and
MythTV 0.20.2).

However I've been getting quite a few false positives, and monit has
been killing mythbackend and restarting it for me in the middle of
recordings.  mythbackend seems to go deaf on the status port (6544) even
though it appears to still be running (web browser on my laptop just
times out trying to view the status page, but mythfrontend on the same
laptop can still browse recordings and start playing one, and
mythbackend still appears in list of processes on the backend)

I had monit set to check the pid file and also the status port with
http, however I'm now going to try just checking the master backend port
(6543).

This is what I had in my /etc/monitrc file:
check process mythbackend with pidfile /var/run/mythbackend.pid
         group mythtv
         start program = "/sbin/service mythbackend start"
         stop program  = "/sbin/service mythbackend stop"
         if failed port 6544 proto http then restart
         mode manual
         depends on mysql

I've now changed it to:
check process mythbackend with pidfile /var/run/mythbackend.pid
         group mythtv
         start program = "/sbin/service mythbackend start"
         stop program  = "/sbin/service mythbackend stop"
         if failed port 6543 then restart
         mode manual
         depends on mysql

I've posted this in case anyone else is having similar issues with monit
and 0.21. Or in case anyone has some suggestions on ways to track down
what might be going on with my machine.

  - Wade