[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 8.04 "Low Graphics Mode" with nvidia 8600

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Tue May 6 09:26:33 UTC 2008

Christopher M. Jones wrote:
> I tried to upgrade my 7.10 Mythbuntu to 8.04 last week. Since then I've
> been around and around in circles over this problem. My googling hasn't
> turned up any definitive answers.
>
> Using an nvidia 8600 card mythbuntu starts up in "Low Graphics Mode".
> This card worked fine under the previous 7.10 version. In frustration I
> tried installing etch, and had the same problems. It seems the card
> simply isn't recognized.
>
> Has anyone had this problem? I'm willing to post whatever message output
> might be helpful, if there is anyone here who is willing to help.
> Surely, someone on this list must be running a similar setup.

I'm having the same problem. I have a 5200 card and it's always worked
fine* in previous versions of ubuntu. Since upgrading to 8.04, I can't
get my resolution back. Using EnvyNG, it crashes if I try to install
169.12. If I install the 96.43.05 driver, then it seems to install ok,
but doesn't give me my resolutions back.

I've seen one thread suggesting that the 171.04 works ok, and another
suggesting that installing the latest Ubuntu updates fixed things. I've
not had time to try either yet as I've just been away for the weekend.

Pressure's on to sort it this week though. My daughter is having a
cinema party. Myth's head may be for the chop if I don't get the system
back on track! :-)

Damian

* It took me months to get xorg to give me the resolution I wanted, but
been perfect since then. Even the 'wrong' resolutions I had in the past
were high, I just couldn't get wide screen working properly for a while.
Nothing much is available at the moment though,