[mythtv-users] Controlling myth from the deck

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue May 6 04:51:07 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 11:46 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>
> > I have some speakers and wifi on the deck.  During the summer, I run
> > mythmusic on a frontend in the house, and pipe the music outside.
> >
> > Controlling it is a challenge though.  Last summer I used a laptop,
> > which
> > sucked.  You can't see a laptop screen in bright sunlight and running
> > into
> > the house to change the volume or skip a track sucks.
> >
> > Sunlight visible LCDs are way too expensive and completely unrealistic
> > for
> > this, so I'm looking for something really basic; an old reflective
> > laptop
> > would be ideal if I could figure out a way to hook wifi up to it....
> >
> > Is anyone doing this?  If so, how?
>

> Honestly?  Unless it is less expensive than an RF remote, you're not going
> to find a better option than something like a Roku Soundbridge or a similar
> device that runs about $150 that can simply read your ID3 tagged music and
> playback.  Sometimes Myth is the perfect answer and sometimes it just
> isn't.
>
> Or, you could go uber-geek and rig up some kind of VFD display with a
> remote

Oh, and I use an Apple Airport Express in the kitchen connected to a set of
wireless speakers that I take outside when I need to.  I run all the music
from iTunes and just set a playlist and don't worry about playing DJ on the
deck :)  iTunes is simply pointed at my MythMusic folder via samba and
imported.

Kevin