[mythtv-users] Pentium M laptop as frontend for HDTV?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon May 5 22:12:52 UTC 2008

David Whyte wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 3:09 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  So I'm looking to replace it. I'm looking at some laptops that have
>>  Pentium M's, up to 1.8GHz. I know the AppleTV has a 1.0GHz Pentium M
>>  and seems to do fine with 720p, but not so well with 1080 content, so
>>  I'm wondering if anyone knows what the minimum Pentium M required to
>>  smoothly play back 1080i with deinterlacing enabled is (since I'll be
>>  connecting it to a LCD monitor).
>>

> I have an AOpen mini PC, with Pentium M 740 (1.73GHz) CPU and built in
> Intel 915 graphics.
>
> I don't think XvMC is enabled in the stock Gutsy (mythbuntu) install I
> am running on it (although a quick check indicates that it is...
>
> mythtv-user at mythDE-David:~$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep Motion
> (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
>

> ...) but it is able to run Aussie OTA HD material OK.  I think now and
> again there is some very minor stuttering but I always attribute it to
> server/network slowdowns than anything else.  It is definitely very
> watchable.
>
> My disclaimer is that since I don't have any HD TVs, I rarely watch
> any HD TV, normally my HD recordings are transcoded down.

Your setup probably has the i810 driver plus the i915_resolution
package, which (anecdotally, at least) enables XvMC on the i915 chipset.

Lucky you!. You might get even better results with the new 2.3.0 driver,
but you will have to go through the steps to get it working.
Not difficult, but precise.

Geoff