[mythtv-users] Pentium M laptop as frontend for HDTV?

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Mon May 5 20:33:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 3:09 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

>  So I'm looking to replace it. I'm looking at some laptops that have
>  Pentium M's, up to 1.8GHz. I know the AppleTV has a 1.0GHz Pentium M
>  and seems to do fine with 720p, but not so well with 1080 content, so
>  I'm wondering if anyone knows what the minimum Pentium M required to
>  smoothly play back 1080i with deinterlacing enabled is (since I'll be
>  connecting it to a LCD monitor).

I have an AOpen mini PC, with Pentium M 740 (1.73GHz) CPU and built in
Intel 915 graphics.

I don't think XvMC is enabled in the stock Gutsy (mythbuntu) install I
am running on it (although a quick check indicates that it is...

mythtv-user at mythDE-David:~$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep Motion
(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation

...) but it is able to run Aussie OTA HD material OK.  I think now and
again there is some very minor stuttering but I always attribute it to
server/network slowdowns than anything else.  It is definitely very
watchable.

My disclaimer is that since I don't have any HD TVs, I rarely watch
any HD TV, normally my HD recordings are transcoded down.

Regards,
Whytey