[mythtv-users] Pentium M laptop as frontend for HDTV?

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Mon May 5 18:21:25 UTC 2008

>Scott- So none of the Pentium M's are capable of 1080i playback
>without XvMC support?
>I looked at upgrading the processor in the laptop, but the cost of the
>CPU was prohibitive of this path.

I seem to remember the AppleTV as not quite having enough ponies to
handle 1080i decode and display with Xv alone. I would have to check
against the 1.7GHz again, give me a few days to cycle this in.

The board I have is this one (http://www.bwi.com/prodroot/494989).
Its cost with cpu, ram, disk, enclosure and power supply was much
more that a MacMini. I also have a 1.66GHz original MacMini with Core
Duo that will smoke it regarding performance and form factor plus
have bluetooth and 802.11n wifi.

>The other option I have is one of those Ultra-small Form Factor
>devices like Dell sells. They have some with Pentium D's and Pentium
>IV's at >3.0GHz which I also understand is capable of 1080i playback
>without XvMC (not that I'm against XvMC, I just have never had the
>best of luck with it)

Pentium-D and Pentium-4 suck in my option, Core/Core2 Duo is so much
better and they run much cooler which means the cpu fan does not
sound like a freaking wind tunnel.

It all depends on your cost factors, but if I were you I would wait
until the new MacMini's come out in a month or so. This will discount
the current line by $100 or more. Then pick up a previous generation
MacMini and either run the OSX version of MythFrontEnd or wipe it and
install Mythbuntu/KnoppMyth or your favorite MythTV distro. Not only
will it handle 1080i mpeg2 decode and display but puts 1080p h.264
into range.
Add a cheap JP1 remote and you can keep using the existing IR
receiver and get more button functions.

The other thing is an AppleTV and run the one-field deinterlacer for
1080i mpeg2. That would be inexpensive, approx $200 to $250 depending
on if you get a refurbished one or a new one.