[mythtv-users] Eee PC as a myth frontend

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Mon May 5 14:47:20 UTC 2008

Emery Guevremont wrote:
> Anyone here using an Eee PC as a frontend?
> Specifically the 2GB surf model.
Nope. 4G surf, upgraded to 2GB ram.
> What distro are you using?
Ubuntu 8.04
> Version of Mythtv?
Almost latest trunk :

MythTV Version   : 17187
MythTV Branch    : trunk
Library API      : 0.22.20080422-1
Network Protocol : 40
QT Version       : 4.3.4

> Is the streaming smooth when connected wirelessly?
Yes, using a wireless N router. Even though the Eee is only G, using a G
router I had terrible stuttering, but just changing to an N, I get maybe
one pause every half hour, versus one every few seconds.
> I don't think an Eee PC would be powerful enough, but has anyone tried
> using this as an HD capable frontend?
Yes I've tried it, and no it's just not quite capable enough. It's very
close though. That is with the CPU clocked to it's rated 900MHz. If it
was a 1.2, it would probably work.