[mythtv-users] arrgh, mythtv autoexpired everything - solved

Janne Grunau janne-mythtv at grunau.be
Mon May 5 12:20:42 UTC 2008

On Sunday 04 May 2008 01:23:11 Richard Woelk wrote:
> Richard Woelk wrote:
> > Now, about 5 hours after I changed the settings. mythtv decided to
> > autoexpire all the recordings that had autoexpire enabled. I have
> > my global policy set to autoexpire by default, then if want to keep
> > a show, I disable its autoexpire. I easily had 100GB free on the
> > raid, and now I have 662GB free
> >
> > I looked in the log and all I can find is 100 lines of "Expiring
> > program"
>
> I think I just figured this out for myself. My new master backend had
> a storage group set which wasn't mounted. I have myth reserve 50GB of
> my 1TB partition to avoid fragmentation (I copy the keepers to my
> windows machine for burning, and I hate to see under 5MB/s transfer
> rate) but that root partition was only 12GB, so it could never free
> up 50GB
>
> I'm posting this so other people don't make the same mistake.

Opening a ticket so that the bug can get fixed would be a better choice.
MythTV should only auto-expire from filesystems which needs space. A not
mounted filesystem with not enough space in the root fs shouldn't cause
autoexpirer activity since there are no expirable recordings on the
filesystem (since there are no recordings at all).

The storage group code can handle missing mounts gracefully if you
specify a directory under the mounted filesystem in the storage group.
E.g. if your HDD with the recordings is mounted to /video create a
directory /video/recordings and use that in mythtv-setup. If /video
fails to mount mythtv will detect that /video/recordings is absent and
doesn't use it.

Janne

ps: please try to describe your storage setup as precise as possible
when opening the ticket