[mythtv-users] Problems with mythtv and Radeon HD video cards

Jesse Burt genecide at comcast.net
Sun May 4 22:46:05 UTC 2008

David Gee wrote:
> Thanks to all for the various suggestions; I tried the fglrx driver,
> both directly off the ati website and also from the freshrpms repo,
> but neither yielded an improvement in performance. I've attached the
> front and backend logs in case they're of any help, although from the
> various comments in this thread, it sounds like I may be better off
> getting an nVidia graphics card. If that's so, can anyone recommend a
> specific make and model that will work at full 1920x1080 resolution
> with mythtv?
>
> Regards
> David

David,

Below, from your backend log is almost certainly the cause of the
problem. Playing such large video back via X11 video output will, as the
third line of the excerpt I've pasted below says, be awfully slow.
Before going out and buying a new video card (even if it's cheap), I
would suggest that you see if you can get XV (not XvMC, just Xv)
working. It may be that the *radeon* driver would give you this where
RadeonHD and fglrx won't (provided it supports your chipset, of course).

  2008-05-03 11:11:49.150 VideoOutputXv Error: Could not find suitable
XVideo surface.
  2008-05-03 11:11:49.150 VideoOutputXv: Falling back to X11 video
output over a network socket.
  			      *** May be very slow ***
  2008-05-03 11:11:49.151 VideoOutputXv Error: XCreateImage failed:
XJ_disp(0x11b5c10) visual(0x11b5830)
                          XJ_depth(24) WxH(1843x1044) bpl(5529)
  2008-05-03 11:11:49.151 VideoOutputXv Error: Failed to create X buffers.

In any case, good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Cheers,
Jesse