[mythtv-users] Commercials are never detected

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun May 4 13:37:06 UTC 2008

On May 3, 2008, at 10:17 PM, Matt Clifton wrote:

> They aren't being detected at all. Shows that were flagged before I
> started having this problem still skip commercials fine. Oddly, when
> I hit "z" when playing back a problem recording it says "Not
> flagged" although when highlighting the show in the recordings
> section, it has the icon that shows it has been flagged. In mythweb
> after the the flagging job has run it always says "0 commercial
> breaks found." I have not tried turning on "Strict Commercial
> Detection" because I'm under the impression that it typically would
> find less commercials when thats on (if the flagging was working in
> the first place). I can try turning it on if that might make a
> difference.

I'm running with "strict commercial detection" and things are working
about the same as with 0.20, that is it's finding 90-95% of the
commercials on most channels. Some channels are more of a problem than
others. The most successful channels are the ones where the breaks are
highly formulaic - always coming back with a rating and/or a cc logo.
The biggest problems are live shows without such cues.

George's advice about checking the DB is good, but since it seems to
be working OK on your pre-upgrade programs I'd try his second
suggestion about running commflag manually with high verbosity.

beww