[mythtv-users] Untraceable error message from Mythfilldatabase

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun May 4 12:46:32 UTC 2008

On 05/04/2008 03:07 AM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Somehow Mythfilldatabase has become borken in the last few days.
> It runs, but reports near the end:
> 2008-05-04 02:41:24.845 DataDirect, Error: GrabData: Creating temp post file
> 2008-05-04 02:41:24.845 Encountered error in grabbing data.
> 2008-05-04 02:41:24.845
>

> It *appears* that either mysql or datadirect.cpp has a permissions
> problem. I had not changed any permissions for mysql. In fact, the only
> change was to update the SVN level a few days ago, which is when mfdb
> started to fail.
>
> I grep'ed around and found that this is from /libs/libmyth/datadirect.cpp.
> That file has tmpdir hardwired as "/tmp" and datadirect.cpp tries to
> create temporary subfolders under /tmp. I chowned and chgrped /tmp to
> mysql in an attempt to fix things but still got the error. I chmod'ed to
> 777: no joy.

Unless you're running mythbackend as the mysql user, that's the wrong
user.  However, you really want /tmp owned by root.  The following
should fix it (right, even):

sudo chown root:root /tmp
sudo chmod 1777 /tmp

Also, make sure you have sufficient free space on the partition that
includes /tmp (this doesn't take /that/ much space, but if the partition
were full, ...).

Mike