[mythtv-users] Anyone used a Wireless A/V Receiver?

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at optusnet.com.au
Sat May 3 23:47:36 UTC 2008

On Thursday 01 May 2008 23:03:59 Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> One of these:
> 2.4GHz Wireless A/V Receiver with Infrared Remote
> http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AR1845&CATID=36&keywords=&SPECI
>AL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMa
>x=&SUBCATID=254
>
> I presume it transmits Component signals at best but I wouldn't be
> surprised if it only managed RGB, in which case no good for my needs
>
> But if it did do Component or SVideo it would be great as a cheap quick way
> to hook my (noisy) Desktop PC to the Plasma while I get my HTPC organised.

Well I tried it out - results were way better than I expected :)

As expected only manages Composite which is useful for testing.

It has a infrared repeater - this worked perfectly much to my surprise, my MCE
remote worked without any tweaking needed at all.

The video quality is surprisingly good, pretty much the same as hooking up a
mythbox via Composite direct to a TV. Since I have a HD Plasma (Panasonic) it
looks poor in compariosn to the HD channels but its perfectly watchable.

Driving it using the SVideo output from my NVidia card, have tried both
TwinView and Separate XWindows. Both work, but seperate xwindows is easier as
I can specify which display to use from the command line. The biggest issue I
have not solved is getting the right aspect ratio on the Svideo output. The
only ones that seem to work are 4:3 ratio when of course its actually a 16:9
TV, but perhaps that's a limitation of the Composite connection. Maybe a
xorg.conf expert has a suggestion?

The device transfers stereo sound as well via twin RCA connections, this
worked without a hitch.

In summary, if you were just using a std CRT TV this would be a great
solution, the same as hooking your mythbox directly to the TV, only without
the need make it silent etc. Its also usefull for playing with myth on your
desktop without transferring the PC into the living room.

--
Lindsay