[mythtv-users] arrgh, mythtv autoexpired everything

Richard Woelk richardwoelk at yahoo.ca
Sat May 3 22:42:52 UTC 2008

Something strange just happened and I'm trying to figure out why so I
can prevent it from happening again.
Here's an explanation of my setup first.

    I have a frontend/sql server/NAT router computer that is hooked to
my tv. The backend in the basement has a PVR150 and a PVR250 in it and
the 2x500GB hardware raid0 for recordings.
The capturing backend runs Fedora 8 i386 with mythtv-.21 fixes from
atrpms. The frontend runs CentOS5 x86_64 with .21 fixes from atrpms.

    I used to to have the capturing backend as the master backend, it
worked, but in order to save power & reduce heat, I recently enabled
auto-shutdown/acpi wakeup on that backend. This worked great except that
mythweb was unavailable while the master backend was off. This morning I
decided to set my frontend as the master backend, and the recording
backend as the slave. I went into mythtvsetup on both machines and
changed the IP addresses of the master backend. I also restarted both
backend processes.

Now, about 5 hours after I changed the settings. mythtv decided to
autoexpire all the recordings that had autoexpire enabled. I have my
global policy set to autoexpire by default, then if want to keep a show,
I disable its autoexpire. I easily had 100GB free on the raid, and now I
have 662GB free

I looked in the log and all I can find is 100 lines of "Expiring program"

I guess from now on, I'll disable autoexpire by default, then enable it
on certain recording schedules

- Richard