Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat May 3 21:04:05 UTC 2008

On May 3, 2008, at 12:58 PM, Gary wrote:

>>> The problem is that randomly data transferee from mythbackend
>>> appears to be suspended (as indicated by the little link led on
>>> the pcmcia card.
>>>

>> Drop outs are a common problem with the g standard.
>>

>>> Any idea how to fix that?
>>>

>> Using higher gain antennae might help.
>>
>> Some say that the draft "n" standard offers better performance and
>> reliability.
>> http://www.pcauthority.com.au/GroupTests/104603,draftn-wireless-routers.aspx
>>

> Thank you  for the info. Not really what I wanted to hear, but now I
> know!  Thanks again.

It really depends on what is causing your problem, a marginal RF path,
interference or something else.

If your problem is interference in the 2.4 Ghz. band, which is
becoming more and more common as retailers shove more and more units
out the door, moving to 802.11a might solve your problem.

There are also third-party firmwares out there for some routers that
allow increasing the transmit power, or even operating on channels not
normally authorized in the USA. (note that increasing power in only
one direction will not normally help, as you need a 2-way path).

Directional antennas, like the "cantenna" (aka: "Pringles box") can
help, not only by increasing the signal level but by rejecting off-
axis signals.

http://www.cantenna.com/

beww