[mythtv-users] Virtualized MythTV?

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Sat May 3 00:39:45 UTC 2008

On 2-May-08, at 2:37 PM, Misty P wrote:

> Thinking a bit laterally, why virtualize at all?  Why a not a few
> big dual
> socket quad core boxes (8 cores total), plus a stack of HDHRs?
>
> Then (and this might require a bit of code spelunking) prohibit
> anyone from
> deleting anything already recorded.  Just set a universal policy of
> "30 days
> and it's gone" (or some such) and let the backends handle file
> expiration.

In this same vein you can run any number of separate backends on one
machine if they each have their own database instance with unique
numbers for the various ports myth uses. "mythconverg" is just a
convention, you can call the database "apartment710" or
"CoupleDownTheHall" or whatever. The FE just needs to know which
database to connect to and after that it's same as any other
installation.

For mythweb I think you'd have to setup virtual hosts but after that
it's similar to a frontend.

Obviously there's some limit to how many BE daemons you can have but
it's a better use of resources than that many VMs.

- George