[mythtv-users] OT but please help if you can. Ubuntu upgrade broke my resolution

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Fri May 2 23:46:45 UTC 2008

Hello all,

My projector was a pain in the ass to set up. It literally took me
months of coming back to it on and off to get the resolution I wanted. I
finally got a xorg file that worked just right, and then upgrading to
8.04 of ubuntu seems to have completely broken my display.

I've attached a copy of the old xorg file that I've been using fine in
the past. Is there anything in here that would break 8.04, but work fine
in 7.10? I've also attached the current xorg.conf which the system has
modified during my efforts.

Also (this could be the cause of the problem), the nvidia drivers don't
seem to like me in 8.04. I've always used Envy yo install my driver and
it's worked flawlessly. I'm trying to use EnvyNG in 8.04, but it's
struggling. If I try to install 169.12, it crashed every time. It seems
to install 96.43.05 ok, but I can still only get 800x600 when I use the
old xorg file.

I tried uninstalling all drivers and just enabling the Ubuntu restricted
driver. It didn't like that, and too me to a low resolution mode.

I'm now running without any 3d acceleration at 800x600. Any ideas what
could be going on? By the way, I have a FX5200 card.

Thanks
Damian