[mythtv-users] Theme Trouble

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Fri May 2 23:07:51 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 10:21 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I just tried to setup the mythbuntu 8.04 theme on my debian machine, and
> > now mythfrontend will not load.  I simply copied the Mythbuntu 8.04 folder
> > from a machine that uses it into my themes folder on my Debian Etch
> > frontend, and chose it from setup.  When it scaled the theme images as it
> > normally does on a theme change, it did the normal two steps, but then went
> > to my desktop.  I'm guessing theres something in the theme my debian machine
> > doesn't like, but I'm unaware of a way to change that setting without using
> > the mythfrontend interface.
>

> Two ways:
>
> mythfrontend -O Setting=Value
>
> will let you specify any DB setting and value on the command-line or use
> phpmysql or mysql command-line query tool to change the DB setting for the
> startup theme in the database.  I would suggest using phpmysql or mysql
> command-line to find the setting and use the mythfrontend option to change
> it at startup to avoid any possibility of messing up your DB
>
> Kevin

Thanks for the info.  But suppose I don't really understand what I should be
using for "Value" in your example, or how to use phpmysql to make the
change...any specific advice on where I could learn about this subject?
Google hasn't led me to a solution as of yet...

I'm not really familiar with interacting with the database directly, and I'd
really rather not mess it up doing things blind.  To be clear, I have a
separate frontend and backend here, and the theme problem I have is only on
one of my frontends.  Id be interested in changing the values on my frontend
only.  Through my myth experience, I can't say that I fully understand where
all the settings are kept.  For example, on another frontend I have, which
uses a CRT tv, I have to tweak a lot of settings to make the TV overscan
work correctly with the menus (I have to shrink the size of the menu
resolution and offset it so those screens are centered while still having my
video dislpay look right).  I've noticed that when I reinstall the OS,
completely wiping the harddrive, that some of my settings are the way I had
them on a previous install, indicating to me that some of the specific
frontend configuraion must be stored on the backend server.  On the frontend
I'm currently dealing with, I deleted the .mythtv folder in my home
directory, and reinstalled all the mythtv packages, but it still seems to
try to load the same theme that's causing me trouble, rather than reverting
to a default.  So that indicates to me that this setting is probably also
stored on the backend server some place.  What would happen if the specific
theme folder the database was looking for were no longer present, would it
load another by default (like G.A.N.T. perhaps?).  If simply deleting the
offending theme folder would allow me to load something that would get me
into the frontend, I could solve my problem that way.  Of course, that could
also cause the frontend to simply fail at load (as it currently does) so
maybe I wouldn't have much to lose by trying.  I could always replace the
theme folder if it made things worse.

Sorry to ramble on here, I'm just trying to explain my problem better.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh