[mythtv-users] Recorded material stutters, live TV is perfect. Why?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 2 20:10:08 UTC 2008

On 05/02/2008 03:22 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>>  Note, however, that 0.21 has some code which attempts to set the
>>  read-buffer size appropriately "on the fly."  I.e. if it starts to
>>  stutter, it attempts to increase the buffer size.  The code isn't
>>  perfect and tends to have serious issues in less-than-ideal (read
>>  wireless) network conditions.
>>
>>  You're typically better off letting the backend stream the recordings
>>  rather than using NFS or CIFS or whatever when you're having these
>>  issues.  If you want to work on fixing the code, I think Stuart A. had
>>  some ideas.
>>
> Not a coder, unfortunately.
>
> Streaming is default, correct? I've not setup NFS and assume I don't
> use CIFS as I don't know what it is.

CIFS is the Microsoft network filesystem (i.e. Samba implements it).  If
you don't have your recordings directory(ies) shared to your frontends,
the backend is streaming it.

>>  Fix the network, fix the playback.  (Think Heroes season 1.)
> Big smile. Love the show.
>
> OK, fix the network is a good idea, 0.20 worked flawlessly over this
> same network so it's not like that's changed.

Based on the errors mentioned in the other branch of the thread ("All
encoder MPG stream buffers are full"), I'm starting to think it may be
driver/recording-data issues causing the stuttering rather than network
issues.  I'd focus on fixing that error next.

Mike