[mythtv-users] Recorded material stutters, live TV is perfect. Why?

Gerald Schepens schepens at shaw.ca
Fri May 2 18:21:02 UTC 2008

I have been having a stuttering issue since going to 0.21, though that
switch also came with different IVTV driver versions because I changed
kernels around the same time.  I also don't know whether live TV
playback is stutter-free because I pretty much always watch from
recordings, but the odd time I've fired up live TV I don't remember it
stuttering.

My system is a P4, 2.5 GHz, single processor, Asus P4PE mobo, 1 GB RAM,
running Fedora 8, kernel 2.6.24.5-85.fc8.  There are two capture cards
-- a PVR350 and a PVR500, and I run X on a framebuffer with the ivtvfb
kernel module to watch recordings and run the front end on my tv via the
PVR350 TV-out.  As for bit rate, a 70 minute show records a file of 3.3
GB in size, which works out to about 825 kbytes per sec.

I'd be curious to know whether the problem backend machine records
messages like this in the messages / dmesg log while recording the
stuttering shows:

May  2 10:07:32 www kernel: ivtv0: All encoder MPG stream buffers are
full. Dropping data.
May  2 10:07:32 www kernel: ivtv0: Cause: the application is not reading
fast enough.

And this despite adding buffers in the modprobe.conf options for ivtv...
obviously not the solution, or else the buffers I added were too few.