[mythtv-users] MyMote iPhone Remote Control For Mythtv

Chase Douglas chasedouglas at gmail.com
Fri May 2 12:28:12 UTC 2008

On May 1, 2008, at 11:33 PM, Kyle Walker wrote:
> Have you looked into gmyth for the frontend...http://gmyth.sourceforge.net?
>   From their website....
>
> GMyth is a library to access MythTV backend services. It is intended
> to speedup the development of a Mythtv Frontend, providing a high
> level API enabling applications to retrieve data such as:
> EPG: Retrieve channels and programs data with filtering
> capabilities. Retrieve channels icon;
> Scheduling: List, add, change and remove recording schedules;
> Recorded programs: List, remove, download and stream recorded
> programs;
> Live TV: Control the backend remote recorder, switch channels and
> access Live TV content.
Yes. As far as using GMyth to help create the iPhone frontend, it's a
non-starter due to its dependencies on many gtk libraries. It doesn't
make much sense to build up a bunch of gtk libs just to have some API
abstractions for Mythtv.

> I fooled with streaming livetv to my iphone couple months ago so I
> could watch the college basketball tournament games at work.  Gmyth
> comes with gmyth-cat as a sample program. You can use to tune a
> channel and send the stream through stdout, which you can just run
> through mencoder or ffmpeg to transcode for the phone and send
> wherever you want. The problem with getting this to work on the
> iphone is that it does not support the real time streaming protocol
> (RTSP).  WIthout this you cannot play a file that has not finished
> transcoding, so even if your capture card could capture in a format
> that the phone could playback you would not be able to stream it
> live the phone.

Hmmm... I hadn't gotten far enough to realize this... Very distressing
if it's the case...

> Thank you for the native remote! I am going to see if I can build it
> on linux.

I just realized that I had never tried compiling for the iPhone
instead of the iPhone Simulator, so I tried last night and realized
that a few things need to be fixed up. So you may or may not find
issues depending on the headers you have available. Apple has
restricted some common classes on the iPhone like NSCalendarDate. It's
there in the libs, but there's no header file for it so you aren't
allowed to use it according to their licensing terms. Hopefully I'll
have it fixed up today and it'll build everywhere.

Thanks