[mythtv-users] spdif with simultaneous analog out (alsa)?

Richard Woelk richardwoelk at yahoo.ca
Thu May 1 23:59:24 UTC 2008

Misty P wrote:
> Hello folks!
>
> I have a simple problem...  my mobo has both spdif and analog outputs.  I
> want to squirt sound out BOTH of them simultaneously.
<snip>

> Someone HAS to have done this, so I figure I'd ask and quit beating my head
> against the wall.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Misty,
    It took me a lot of searching to find this asound.conf (attached)
but it is working on my folks' Mythtv. I think most of it is overkill,
but it works for me so I haven't tried to clean it up. They are using a
nForce2 based shuttle board with onboard audio. It uses the snd_intel8x0
module

In the mythtv settings page, you have to set the audio output to
ALSA:default.
Make sure that AC3 & DTS passthrough are checked and the passthrough
device to ALSA:iec958:{ AES0 0x02 }

Recordings from the PVR-250 and mythmusic work simultaneously from
analog and digital outputs.
AC3 and DTS tracks from mythdvd (or digital recordings.) are sent
directly out the SPDIF output and the analog is muted

I hope it works for you
- Richard