[mythtv-users] spdif with simultaneous analog out (alsa)?

Misty P mistyp at thekorn.net
Thu May 1 22:33:38 UTC 2008

Hello folks!

I have a simple problem...  my mobo has both spdif and analog outputs.  I
want to squirt sound out BOTH of them simultaneously.  Seems like it
shouldn't be a hard thing to do, but after spending a few hours trying to
literally *decipher* the alsa wiki on the subject (
http://alsa.opensrc.org/home/w/org/opensrc/alsa/index.php?title=.asoundrc )
it's like trying to learn french from the deaf.  All you get is a different
form of *wrong*.

Here's what I have in my .asoundrc so far:

pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card 0
        device 1
        }

ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card 0
        device 1
        }

pcm.digout {
        type hw
        card 0
        device 1
        }

pcm.anaout {
        type hw
        card 0
        device 0
        }

And that works in the following manner...  by default, everything goes out
the SPDIF.  If I do an "aplay -D digout song.wav", it'll (also) go through
the spdif.  If I do an "aplay -D anaout song.wav", it'll go through the
analog outputs.

It's at this point I'm stuck.  I need to beat it into alsa that I want to do
BOTH, but can't find a single example on the net of how to do so.  It
certainly seems like it *should* be possible with some form of copy or
slave, but I can't figure out the proper syntax from the alsa wiki.

Someone HAS to have done this, so I figure I'd ask and quit beating my head
against the wall.

Thanks in advance!