[mythtv-users] IR Blaster and LIRC RPMs

scott at tbwifi.ca scott at tbwifi.ca
Thu May 1 15:00:08 UTC 2008

>> I stopped the old process of lircd and lircmd and entered a new command
>> as
>>  above.  No worky.  Here is the error:
>>
>>  [root at mythbox lirc]# modprobe lirc-serial
>>  [root at mythbox lirc]# lircd --device=/dev/lirc/0 --output=/dev/lircd
>>
>> --pidfile=/var/run/lircd.pid
>>
>> [root at mythbox lirc]# /usr/local/bin/change_1.sh 220
>>  irsend: could not connect to socket
>>  irsend: No such file or directory
>>
>>  Any other thoughts to narrow this down?
>
> Please post the content of /usr/local/bin/change_1.sh, and also the output
> of
>
> # ls -l /dev/lirc*
>
> again.

Thx Nick,

Well, I am embarrassed to say that your question here made me think of
somewhere I hadn't looked yet.  I  had overlooked the fact that the how-to
source I used for my channel change script also had an another lirc setup
for ir receiving and as such their script used /dev/lircd1 instead of
/dev/lircd which I required.  I then discovered that I had copied his
remote name with caps (DISH_1) in place of mine (dish1).

All is well now and I’ll be adding the script via mythtv-setup tonight.

For those interested, I have successfully used Mike’s IR Blaster parts,
http://www.irblaster.info/ , to control a Bell Expressvu (Dish 3100 type)
satellite receiver on my main floor with my mythbackend server which is
upstairs.  I used the Powermid X10 wireless remote control extenders
(capable of 100’ range – mine is at least 75’ or so).  I picked them up on
EBay for about $30.
http://search.stores.ebay.com/X10-WAREHOUSE_Powermid_W0QQftsZ1QQsaselZ312476441QQsatitleZPowermidQQsofpZ0
Mike sells IR Blasters that plug into the X10 receiver directly with a
1/8” plug.  The worked very well.  I will shortly be adding my second Bell
receiver and a second PVR card to the mix.

Things are coming together!  Very Happy…   ;^)

Scott