[mythtv-users] Upgrade Ubuntu 7.10 => 8.04

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Thu May 1 14:26:36 UTC 2008

finlay wrote:
> Joacim J wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have read about Josh White's problem with Upgrade Ubuntu 7.10 => 8.04.
>> However, is there anyone that have done a *successful* upgrade with
>> functional MythTV from Ubuntu's repository?
> I did a FE/BE upgrade (Ubuntu 704->710 with myth on top) a couple of
> days ago. I had a problem with fstab because I had a pata drive for my
> system disk that got renamed to /dev/sda from /dev/hda and I used the
> partition names instead of labels for mounting.
Don't use names or labels.  UUIDs are used by default in Ubuntu.  You should
stick to these.
They are used for this exact reason of upgrades risking breaking things.
 Hal can be a problem
> since the rc*.d links are different in 804 from 710. Nothing major - was
> up and recording in a couple of hours or so. Another system (no myth)
> took more work but I expected it since I had compiled and installed a
> bunch of stuff from source including dbus. Hosed hal and avahi-daemon
> for a while but I wouldn't expect any problems from a relatively
> standard 7.10.

Compiling from source on core services can lead to a fair deal of trouble.
Why'd you do that in the first place?

> Oddly enough the worst problem was with a 710 mythbuntu that wouldn't
> start X, etc. I finally just wiped the disk and installed mythbuntu 804
> on top and will probably go diskless on it now that mythbuntu makes
> setting up diskless clients easy.
Did you see the details surrounding this?  There has been a few reports of
linux-restricted-modules not getting upgraded when the upgrade happened.