[mythtv-users] using mythnews to replace mythvideo

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Mon Mar 31 22:04:18 UTC 2008

Hello, i was wondering if anyone has used mythnews to replace mythvideo.

I was thinking that because mythnews "runs" on rss feeds, we could create an
rss feed of all our Movies, and then go into mythnews to play them. One
major advantage of this is that in the rss feed, you could create "feeds"
(more or less categories) called Comedy, Drama, etc, so that you can browse
Movies very easily by genre. You then could create categories based on a
number of things, like rating (ie, 7.0 to 7.9, 6.0 to 6.9, 5.0 to 5.9 and so
on), and you could do it by year too.

The idea is that right now, mythvideo though nice, is hard to use when you
have hundreds of movies, and this would break it down much easier. I know
you can change the genre in mythvideo, but this would allow for very easy
switching.

Has anyone thought of this idea before? If so, is there some
code/script/plugin out there that will create the proper rss file (and
modify the news-sites.xml file too)?

-Thanks
-Steve