[mythtv-users] TheSniderPad.com Mac build + network LIRC problems

Sam Jacobs samlists at ijacobs.co.uk
Sun Mar 30 23:20:55 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me, because I'm having a really odd problem.
I've just set up MythTV (after quite a while not using it), and want
to add a Mac OS X frontend. I'm using a build of 0.21 from
thesniderpad.com, which works quite well (thanks!), but since the
Apple Remote, while supported, doesn't have nearly enough buttons I'd
like to use my Nebula DigiTV remote* on the Mac frontend. I downloaded
and installed LIRC via MacPorts, and got it talking to LIRC on my
backend box. I can use irw on the Mac to see that it's receiving
events from the backend. I placed the lircrc file for my remote into
~/.mythtv/lircrc on the Mac and hoped for the best. Silly me...

I assume that the build I'm using is LIRC-enabled, since
lirc_client.framework is present in the bundle, but MythFrontend
doesn't respond to anything I press on the remote. What's weird is
that I can see by using Activity Monitor (I also tried fuser) that
MythFrontend hasn't opened the socket, which with the MacPorts build
is at /opt/local/var/run/lircd. I grepped the lirc_client file and
found that it might want the socket at /usr/lirc/dev/lircd, so I
symlinked it. No dice. I put a symlink at /dev/lircd as well, but that
didn't work either.

After all this, I notice something *really* weird - although
lirc_client is present in the bundle, MythFrontend doesn't even have
*that* open. Now I'm completely stumped, and thought I'd ask you guys
for some assistance. Any ideas welcome, although I'd really rather not
have to compile from source, if I can help it!

Thanks in advance,
Sam

* I thought I'd point out that I wrote the lircrc for this that's on
the wiki, 3 years ago. Only interesting because I'd completely
forgotten I'd been the one to write it, and wondered what idiot had
annotated the file so much! I'm still trying to fathom what state of
mind I must have been in at the time to make so many comments...
--
Sam Jacobs on MythTV 0.21, UK Freeview, EIT-only EPG
mythbox: BE+FE, Mythbuntu 8.04, Athlon XP2000+ at 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM,