[mythtv-users] DVI to Component?

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 18:16:47 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Brian Phillips <brian.phillips at gmx.net>
wrote:

> steve wrote:
>
> > the best cable to get is dvi to dvi.  anytime you use a converter
> > cable you are subject to signal loss/downgrade.  although, your only
> > taking 1 performance step down to component. svideo can only carry
> > 480, id switch to dvi->component.
>
> It seems to me the cable he linked to required that he have a DVI-I port,
> which means what's coming out of the DVI is component (analog).  Cables do
> not subject you to the type of loss you are referring to (conversion
> loss).
> The most the cables he linked to would do would be the same type of loss
> available in any analog cable.
>
> As long as your 7300 has a DVI-I port and not just a DVI-D port, your
> DVI-Component cables would connect your computer to a display without any
> "conversion loss" as the analog signal is coming out of your video card
> and
> not being created by the cables.
>

> However, what you linked to has this caveat.  From the webpage:
> http://sewelldirect.com/DVI-to-Component-Adapter-Cable-6ft.asp
> "These cables are not compatible with PC or Mac video card outputs unless
> specifically stated in your video card. They also do not support Y, Cr, Cb
> signals. If you're looking for a way to use your computer video output
> with
> your HDTV display, check out our VGA to HDTV Converter."
>
> So it doesn't look like it will hook up to your TV.

Yeah, looks like these cables need sync-on-green which apparently nvidia
cards do not provide.  So that's a no-go.

The pickings get mighty slim when you're looking for an nvidia card that (in
order of priority) fits in a low profile case, has component output, is
fanless and supports XvMC.

I may give up on the last two items and try this one ...
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16814139018

The XvMC isn't necessary for me at the moment, I'd prefer not to use it at
all, but I thought when I upgraded to HD I could use it on the frontend
until I beefed up the CPU there.