[mythtv-users] Questions about new hardware purchase

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Mar 29 20:10:54 UTC 2008

On Mar 29, 2008, at 1:43 PM, Fred Firestine wrote:

> Still narrowing down my hardware choices. Having trouble finding an
> AMD motherboard with more than 2 PCI slots. I would like to use my PCI
> wireless card (which I know will work with madwifi). It would also be
> nice to have a firewire port. Anyone have a favorite motherboard? I
> saw someone in the Wiki used a couple of GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3, which
> look great, but they are discontinued many places. Is that good or
> bad?

How could you go wrong with something that "supports Vista
Premium" ??? :-)) This implies there are similar boards that do not,
stupid marketers.

I've not had problems with Gigabyte motherboards, though I've only
used a couple of them. I mostly use Asus boards.

It certainly seems to have the features you want. The only thing is
that heatsink might be in the way of a full-length PCI card for one of
the slots, can't tell for sure.

The only negative I can think of is if you want to use an AM2+ CPU you
might want a board that specifically supports it without reducing the
HT speed, if that's important to you.

beww