[mythtv-users] Playback stuttering on more-than-capable system

Mat Kyne matkyne at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 13:51:28 UTC 2008

Last Sunday I received the click of death from my Myth box's  primary hard
drive.  I  lost everything.  (AKA : The big crash of '08) So I put in a new
320 GB HDD and went through the long process of getting everything up and
running again. Just so you know:

Combo Master Backend & Frontend:
MythTV: Knoppmyth R5F27
P4 - 3.06 GHz
2 x 512MB = 1024MB RAM (Dual Channel)
Tuner (0) PCHDTV 3000
Tuner (1) PCHDTV 5500
320 GB Western Digital EDIE Hard Drive
Nvidia GeForce 6200 128MB
Display = 1080p LCD (over VGA)

It records and plays back HD just fine for a while. But is seems like every
other day or so when a recording is selected and begins playing, it will
pause for half a second like every 3 seconds. It is very consistent. After a
quick reboot everything works fine for a few more days.

It might be useful to know that this does not happen on my remote front end
that is running the same version of Knoppmyth. The only real difference is
that it outputs to 720p.

The question is what happens during a reboot that fixes my problems. Where
should I look for log files that can help point me in the right direction.
Any and all help would be appreciated.