[mythtv-users] MPEG-TS transcoding

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Sat Mar 29 03:21:02 UTC 2008

Mike Loewen wrote:
>     I recently added a HDHomeRun to my MythTV 0.21 setup.  It works fine,
> and will record (unencrypted) programs from my Comcast cable.  The problem
> I have is in trying to convert the resulting MPEG-TS files to a format
> suitable for burning to DVD (I use Ulead DVD Movie Factory 5).

Try converting them to program streams.  MythTV's built-in transcoder will do
this losslessly (and will chop out commercials while it's at it, if the
recording has a cutlist associated with it).  The last time I needed to make a
DVD for someone, I did this, fed the result into mencoder to downrez it from
720p to something DVD-compatible, and burned the resulting file with DVDStyler:
an all-Linux toolchain.

You could also try HDTVtoMPEG2, which also converts TS to PS and runs under
both Windows and Wine.

Come to think of it, if you're trying to put any sort of HD video on DVD (in
the DVD-Video sense, which would allow playback in a DVD player), you will have
to reencode it.  Both 1080i and 720p need to be reduced in resolution to
720x480.  1080i is already at a suitable framerate, so you can either do
inverse 3:2 pulldown (for film) and encode at 24000/1001 fps or drop a field
and encode at 30000/1001 fps.  720p is usually broadcast at 60000/1001 fps, so
you need to throw out a frame.  With mencoder, the options "-fs 60000/1001
-ofps 30000/1001" will do that (the result is 30000/1001 fps progressive-scan).

   _/_
  / v \ Scott Alfter