[mythtv-users] Securing Mythweb

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 28 19:16:03 UTC 2008

I'm using the following Wiki article to try and secure Mythweb:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Securing_MythWeb.  In my previous
FC6/0.20.2 setup, I had this working via the .htaccess file and had it
so that I could connect without being prompted for a password on my
local LAN, and being prompted when outside (from work, for example).

Now the mythweb.conf.apache references htdigest, and the man page on it
only tells you what the command line arguments are.  Basically a new
version of htpassword from what I can tell.  Anyway, the Wiki article
says to modify .htaccess, but doesn't say to what.  Well, it does, but
it seems to be a re-hash of what should be in mythweb.conf.

So, basically, what I'm looking for is how do I use the htdigest utility
to secure Mythweb?  And what do I need to do in mythweb.conf for this?
Is .htaccess still involved somehow?  Currently, I can get in locally,
but from outside my network, my /var/log/httpd/error_log shows (and I
KNOW I typed the password in correctly. and I'm not showing what the
username is for security reasons ;-) ):
[Fri Mar 28 15:02:21 2008] [error] [client 155.178.180.5] user
<user_hidden_for_security>: authentication failure for "/mythweb":
Password Mismatch

Anyone have any ideas?
Harry