[mythtv-users] How hard is it to build an HD MythTV?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Fri Mar 28 18:32:49 UTC 2008

The biggest dependency here is your TV. For me, by far the largest pain
in the butt with getting HD working was finding an xorg.conf mode line
for my TV (a Pioneer Elite). I searched everywhere and could not find
one, so I had to build one by installing Windows XP and using a program
(PowerStrip)  that was designed to generate mode lines. I finally got
one that worked, but it took hours of fiddling to do this. Then I could
never get my DVB card (pcTV HD3000) or Firewire from the cable box to
work, so I never had HD under Myth until the HDHomerun came out. Now I
can at least get the network HD stations that come over Comcrap in the
clear in HD in Myth. Very nice during football season :-)

So poke around and see if you can find a mode line for your particular
TV. If you can't find one, it might be a struggle to get HD working.

--Greg