[mythtv-users] NVIDIA XcVM support . . . . does the card model matter much?

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 17:34:53 UTC 2008

> A) enable XcVM on my GeForce FX 5200 card, and hope there's just enough
> cycles to play HD @ 768 mode, or

You may be able to get it to play.  When i first started testing MythTV on a
old box I got HD to play on a Athlon XP 1800+ (1.5Ghz)  But the issue was
when it would skip comm. or OSD would appear forget it.  You had to wait 20
sec for the sytem to recover.

> B) turn my current system into a backend, and put together a powerful but
> slim front end.
>
> In the latter case . . . does it much matter which NVIDIA based card I
> get, if all I'd be using it for is HD playback? Some of the lower end cards
> don't have a fan, for example, which should reduce noise and power usage.

Not much.  the 5200 and 6200 are by far the most popular.

Mitchell