[mythtv-users] The Death of MythTV in the US?

Jack Trout witmore1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 16:50:13 UTC 2008

> Dean Harding wrote:
> >
> > Skitals wrote:
> >> What I want to know is, if Gefen can strip the HDCP protection from an
> >> HDMI
> >> signal, why can't we?
> >
> > IANAL, but it's because when you sign into the HDCP scheme, you
> > basically sign a contract saying that you'll never strip the HDCP from
> > the recording. If you don't sign the contract, they don't give the keys
> > for decryption.
> >
> > The Gefen device, as far as I can tell, would store the video file
> > unencrypted on it's hard disk, but if you played the file back over the
> > HDMI output, it would encrypt it again. It was only by physically
> > removing the internal hard disk that you were able to get at the
> > unencrypted content.
> >
> > When looked at as a "black box" the Gefen device was technically not in
> > violation of the HDCP "rules", but it was certainly in violation of the
> > "spirit" of the rules.
> >
> > Anyway, that's just my understanding of the situation.
> >
> > Dean.

HDCP has a list of allowed keys, soo once that manufacturer, who gets a key
from whoever assigns them, and makes a product to bypass HDCP new media can
carry updates to blacklist those keys essentially bricking the device at a
later date.

With every new block buster movie coming out (the case I have read about is
in reference to blu-ray players only showing tv a 1/4 of its max detail
unless its played on an hdcp compliant device) could update a blacklist on
your player not to talk to your hdmi hdcp stripper as soon as they figure
out the key,

maybe they will come up with a way to copy a key from a legit device, and
reflash your stripper with a legit key, like from a sony television or
something else not likely to get blacklisted, but if the keys are
uncopiable, your stripper might not last long.

There have in the past been  sold an hdcp stripper that stripped hdmi to
componet, and a newer one that supposedly would only connect directly to a
tv to upgrade an older hdtv to hdcp compliant but they were expensive, and
still not a way to record anything..

it is essentially the new broadcast flag, the only things that are
unaffected are OTA broadcasts, and Clear QAM. (which in my case my cable
company only gives me OTA channels in the clear)

Good Luck,