[mythtv-users] "minimal-click"-installation of MythTV on Ubuntu 8.04?

Sarah Hayes sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net
Fri Mar 28 15:19:11 UTC 2008

'click phase'
Application (1) > Accessories > Terminal (2)

'type phase'
su - (or sudo su - if you've not set the root password manually).
apt-get update
apt-get install mythtv mythweather mythvideo mythnews mythdvd
mythgallery mythmusic
*wait*
*wait*

'click again'
Accept all defaults (3 if I remember).

That'll get you a FE/BE combined system, no autostart but with, what I'd
guess, are the most common used plugins installed.  There is a combined
plugin package but that also drags down mythweb, apache and so on.

Ubuntu really does make it simple to install.

But if your talking about building multiple system, I assume to be in
the same house, you might want to explore the 'ubuntu-mythtv-frontend'
package instead of just mythtv.  It installs only the frontend and adds
an autostart feature so the machine boots, logs in as the mythtv user
and then runs... mythtv.   The joys of client/server systems :)

Configuring from the command line is, theoretically possible, but to be
quite honest I'd just use the mythtv-setup GUI as it makes it easier.
ssh -X can be really handy on a headless backend :)

And as others have pointed out, dumping the DB to a txt file and
reimporting it should make the vast majority of settings portable, but
you might find one or two things need tweaking depending on file system
layout.