[mythtv-users] The Death of MythTV in the US?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 28 13:25:26 UTC 2008

On 03/27/2008 11:12 PM, Phil Bridges wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:04 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

>>> Yes, I'm sure.  They're only showing the newer episodes on FoodHD
>>> because they've been recorded in HD.
>>>
>>> I'd like to know how you're recording an episode of Good Eats
>>> that totals 300MB.
>>
>> Transcoding.
>>
>> It's like old school Tivo but without quite so much quality loss.
>>
>> Cartoons are especially suitable for agressive transcoding.
>>

> Well, then, you're not really comparing apples to apples.  HD video
> can be transcoded, too - in fact, i'm sure that if you want to, you
> could transcode a 1 hour 1080i HD file down to 300MB.

As a matter of fact, when transcoding a good digital recording you're
likely to get much better compression than you get from an analog
recording because of the lack of noise.  Noise kills compressability.
Therefore, it's likely that the end result of transcoding Good Eats HD
would be a smaller file than transcoding Good Eats analog.

Mike