[mythtv-users] "minimal-click"-installation of MythTV on Ubuntu 8.04?

James Bunton jamesbunton at fastmail.fm
Fri Mar 28 11:16:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:50:24AM +0100, Holger wrote:
> Can anybody help me do as much as possible from a command line?
> - How do I install MythTV from the command line?
> - How do I configure it from the command line? As an intermediate
> solution, it would be ok if I could "dump" my settings to a file and use
> that to automatically configure my next installation. I use two capture
> cards with two different video sources and ~ 30 channels each, so
> settings the channels (and the xmltv-ids) was a real pain. Last time I
> had to do it, I wrote a Java program that does it for me. It works quite
> nicely!

You should be able to install all of MythTV under Ubuntu with just this
command.

sudo aptitude install mythtv

That'll install the frontend and backend as well as create the database and a
mythtv system account.

Then you can configure your Myth with the mythtv-setup command. All MythTV's
settings are stored in the mythconverg MySQL database. If you use the
instructions on the MythTV HOWTO to dump the database after configuring it to
use your favourite theme and setting up channels you should be able to restore
it at will.

Hope that helps :)

---

James