[mythtv-users] THX "support" in myth WAS- Re: Powered 5.1 speakers or A/V Receiver?

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Fri Mar 28 07:53:39 UTC 2008

Kisner, Thomas wrote:

> I don't about THX support in myth (I just have a 5.1 receiver).  I think
> there is a way to up-convert 5.1 to 7.1 in Linux, but I haven't done
> that either.  I have a friend that has a 7.1 and THX setup (he doesn't

*snip*

As an aside, there is no such thing as 'THX support' in anything.  If
it's on the box as 'THX compliant' (or whatever term the marketdroids
are using now), it's just that, marketing.

THX is not an encoding format, it's a QA program.  Think along the lines
of 'Certified to work with Microsoft Windows' and you will basically
have it.