[mythtv-users] The Death of MythTV in the US?

Dean Harding dean.harding at dload.com.au
Fri Mar 28 05:12:10 UTC 2008

Skitals wrote:
> What I want to know is, if Gefen can strip the HDCP protection from an HDMI
> signal, why can't we?

IANAL, but it's because when you sign into the HDCP scheme, you
basically sign a contract saying that you'll never strip the HDCP from
the recording. If you don't sign the contract, they don't give the keys
for decryption.

The Gefen device, as far as I can tell, would store the video file
unencrypted on it's hard disk, but if you played the file back over the
HDMI output, it would encrypt it again. It was only by physically
removing the internal hard disk that you were able to get at the
unencrypted content.

When looked at as a "black box" the Gefen device was technically not in
violation of the HDCP "rules", but it was certainly in violation of the
"spirit" of the rules.

Anyway, that's just my understanding of the situation.

Dean.