[mythtv-users] agpgart with kernel 2.6.24

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 04:12:27 UTC 2008

Hello, I've been running myth for a few years now.  I like it a lot!  I
recently tried to upgrade to 2.6.24 and also to 2.6.24.4 and both times when
I get into KDE and attempt to play a video, it's horribly slow.  I just
found out that my AGP is disabled by looking in the nvidia driver AGP status
flag file.  It reports:

AGP initialization failed, please check the ouput
of the 'dmesg' command and/or your system log file
for additional information on this problem.

I did a little poking around way long ago and I found that this is caused by
the agpgart (kernel AGP driver) getting loaded instead of NvAGP (the nvidia
AGP driver).  When I look for 'AGP' in dmesg, I found these messages:

NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  169.12  Thu Feb 14 17:51:09
PST 2008
NVRM: not using NVAGP, kernel was compiled with GART_IOMMU support!!
NVRM: failed to allocate stack!

So I went back to my kernel source and I cannot deselect the agpgart!  It
get automatically selected when I add PCI support.  I had this problem long
ago and I was able to solve it by putting 'Option "NvAGP" "1"' in my
xorg.conf and 'agp=off' in my kernel line in grub, they are both still there
but 'agp=off' no longer disables the agpgart from loading.  How can I fix
this?  Am I doomed to use 2.6.23.xx indefinitely?  Because it honors the
'agp=off' flag.

Thanks,
-Greg