[mythtv-users] The Death of MythTV in the US?

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 02:29:09 UTC 2008

>    If that's what they're really worried about then the have far more
>  to fear from Frys and Walmart. A great deal of their content is being
>  sold to the end user. A lot of what you might have cable for can be
>  permanently acquired. No more need to bother with cable.

Yeah, that's an option... well after it's aired.  Most aren't willing
to wait for that (after all, who wants their co-workers to spoil Lost
or BSG on them?).  Heck, you need only look at shows like BSG... North
American viewers weren't even willing to wait until it finished airing
in the UK, and so piracy was rampant. And I'll bet most sales of TV
shows on DVD are to people who have already seen the show and simply
want to own the content.

Nah, the only real competitor to content delivery from traditional
vendors (be it cable, satellite, or downloaded content from their
official delivery vectors) is pirated downloads... and, funny enough,
that's brings us back to the topic at hand:  copy protection. :)

Brett.