[mythtv-users] The Death of MythTV in the US?

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 23:21:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Tom Lichti <tom at redpepperracing.com> wrote:
> Bob Sully wrote:
>  >>> As I understand it, Hauppauge  will be releasing an HDMI capture card.
>  >>> This
>  >>> should allow you to record anything that your TV could display.
>  >>>
>  >> And when they do, you better pick one (or several) up quickly, before
>  >> this happens to them:
>  >> http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9898065-1.html
>  >>
>  >
>  >
>  > Damn, that's ugly.  As soon as those Hauppauge cards are available -
>  > someone PLEASE let us know.  I plan on grabbing at least two of them.
>  >
>  > What ever happened to "fair use"?  Most of us are NOT pirates.  We USED to
>  > be able to record HBO on the old VCRs without any problems.  God, I hate
>  > the studios.
>  Unfortunately one of the earlier posters mis-spoke. The Hauppauge card
>  will not be doing HDMI captures, it will be doing component captures.
>  Way different from the Gefen device mentioned above, and somewhat harder
>  to control.
>

>  Tom

Actually, the picture in the cnet story shows component in as well.
The action implied by the quote from Gefen, encrypting the hard drive,
would presumable render the component capture unusable (to the pvr
enthusiast, anyway) as well.

But this begs the question: if there is no hard drive/storage device
sold as part of the product (as in a capture _card_), is there still a
way to ensure what is captured is also encrypted?