[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.21 on Xebian installed (was Compiling MythTV on a computer instead of the Xbox)

Ryan wyild1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 22:42:40 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Skitals <hondacrxsi at gmail.com> wrote:

>  kanetse at gmail.com wrote:
>  >
>  > On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 4:14 AM, Ian Hodgson
>  > <ian.hodgson.home at googlemail.com> wrote:
>  >>
>  >>  Kanetse & Skitals,
>  >>      Thank you for your detailed replies; particularly the clarification
>  >> of
>  >> the kernel upgrade. After my softmodded Xbox boots, I can access FATX
>  >> format
>  >> E partition and what you are saying is that this can only happen with
>  >> kernel
>  >> v2.4 as FATX support is not provided in kernel v2.6.
>  >>      Now, if I do not need to use the data on the E partition from Linux,
>  >> can I use kernel v2.6, effectively ignoring the FATX partitions (and
>  >> wasting
>  >> most of the Xbox disk space), or will using kernel that cannot see the
>  >> FATX
>  >> partitions prevent my Xbox from working. I do not use the Xbox for
>  >> anything
>  >> other than Linux, so maybe I should start from scratch with the Xebian
>  >> install and select the option that reformats the whole disk; your views
>  >> would be welcome.
>  >>
>  >
>  > If you maintain an XBox with C and E drives, these will be formatted
>  > as FATX.  Therefore, you are stuck with kernel 2.4; because Xebian is
>  > installed on E, and in order for Xebian to be able to access 'itself',
>  > it needs to be able to read FATX.
>  >
>  > Using a 2.6 kernel on a XBox with FATX partitions will result in your
>  > XBox no longer being able to boot Linux; but it should otherwise be
>  > fine.
>  >
>  > However, if you choose the option which reformats the whole disk, then
>  > you should be able to use kernel 2.6.  However, since your XBox is
>  > softmodded; reformatting the HDD (to Linux) should erase the softmod
>  > as well, and you will no longer have a modded XBox; which will no
>  > longer be able to boot Linux (or any other homebrew software).
>  > mythtv-users mailing list
>  > mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>  >
>  >

>  The easiest thing to do is download one of the Xebian "E Images." You just
>  ftp the file structure to e:\xebian and you are good to go. Boot into it
>  using the provided xbe from any dashboard type software you use.
>
>  It's my understanding if you want to use kernel 2.6 you need to format the
>  entire Xbox hdd, meaning you can't use your xbox for anything else. With the
>  "e image" there is no formatting or partition your drive, it runs directly
>  from the fatx file structure.
>
>  I have my xbox setup to boot into XBMC, from which I can easily launch
>  Xebian if I desire. It's still a fully functioning xbox.
> [...]

Just another note.  U can format the xbox IF you have a modchip
installed, or you solder some points on the xbox motherboard to be
able to flash the TSOP so you can boot non microsoft BIOS's.  Then you
can format the xbox to run ONLY linux.  If you want the dual boot to
play games, or XBMC, you have to stay with the E image and the 2.4x
kernel

I have a second xbox that i will be testing soon with soldering the
points so i can flash the TSOP and turn it into a mythfrontend.  Just
need to get my friend to solder it!  Damn shaky hands of mine!